Tribute to a Friend
Thanks to Sr. Mary Dennison, the Founder and Director of the Spiritual Direction Institute at the Cenacle Retreat House in Houston.
- Who, on the threshold of a sabbatical, has shared her wonderful gift of listening and empathy, of clarity and intellect to everyone she encounters
- Who, in welcoming and accepting others, frees their gifts for joyful service and love
- Who first told me that my love of reading and study was not weird but a valid spiritual discipline and tool for prayer and growth
- Whose dedication and joy in her ministry these many years is not only beautiful but smart and contagious
- Whose Midwestern spunk, good humor, and patience always brings fresh air to the seriousness and judgment of our Bible belt religion
- Whose permission-giving, thought-provoking, and authority questioning gave me the freedom to rethink, discern, and repent
- Who tells the stories of saints and martyrs with reverence as well as friendliness
- You have embodied in the classroom and beyond the ideals of my spiritual heritage: "First do no harm, practice doing all the good you can, and stay in love with God."
- Thank you, friend and sister in the Lord, for all you have done for me and for the church we share in Jesus.
- Thank you for inviting me into this safe and healing place, and for all your encouragement in the SDI, in spiritual direction, and as a pastor!