Stuff I learned:
- in the typical, average 8 hour shift, the nurse will push, pull, lift and move about 1.8 TONS of weight
- it follows that many nurses drop out of the profession due to back injury
- visits to the nurse practitioner will be as common- or more- as visits to the doctor
- generally, nurses aren't in it for the money -less stressful jobs for comparable pay can be found
- nursing school is not cheap and loans and scholarships are not easy to find either
- understaffed nursing departments are a result of profit seeking, decided by business, not health care people, and certainly not nurses.
- the big insurance players are spending about 1.8 million PER DAY to defeat a not for profit public option plan not run by the private insurers
- like most of us, many have had to stall retirements until their savings recover; the current glut of nurses will not last more than a few years.